Pages

Friday, April 26, 2013

We worked, we laughed, we had lots of fun!

A crafter's poem....

Crafters are a funny bunch,
We'd rather craft than eat our lunch.
The housework, it can always wait.
It will be there on some other date.
No craft is left to be untried,
No creative thought to be denied.
Craft supplies - they're everywhere!
We're never caught without a spare.
Can our time be better spent,
Than practicing our creative bent?
Let it be said when we are done,
We worked, we laughed, we had lots of fun.
                                           by Debbie Garrett


My girlfriends and I all get together once a month, meeting at alternating houses, to craft.
At least, that's what we tell our families.
It's actually therapy for the soul - a little crafting mixed with a little wine and martinis and a lot of chatting. It's a great recipe for keeping our youth.

That's what Jane Fonda recently said when asked how she stays so young, "To stay young at heart, you have to have love in your life," Jane told People magazine. "For me, it's my women friends. They put starch in my spine and make me happy," she said. http://video.lycos.com/news/view/jane-fonda-friends-keep-me-youthful-77415/

We love our little group so much we named ourselves "Crafting Sistas'." And for me, nothing interferes with Craft Night.
Last night was April's Craft Night, and because our dear friend who was scheduled to host April's outing was unable to do so, I hosted it. I almost always "pin" our crafting results onto my Pinterest board, but this time I'm also blogging about it. It's another simple project that requires very little investment.

Frosted Mason Jars



You will need...


... A clean and dry mason jar. We had jelly jars, spaghetti jars, asparagus jars, etc. Any jar will do as long as it's clean and dry.
You'll also need:
Elmer's glue or Mod Podge, small paper cup, paint brush, acrylic paint of your choice, water and some kind of drop cloth.


To begin, put about a tablespoon of glue or Mod Podge into the paper cup and then add about a tablespoon of water. Mix well, then add your paint -- just a few drops. Mix well. It will be very runny.
 

Begin painting the mixture onto the outside of the jar. Be sure to lay out a drop cloth of some kind, because the mixture is very runny. The jar pictured took only one dip of the paint mixture using one of those sponge paint brushes. It takes very, very little. Remember to paint the bottom of the jar, also. When done, turn the jar over to dry.

That's it!
How easy is that?
 
 
Paint a few more jars.
Put a candle inside (best to use one of those new-fangled, battery-powered candles), tie a ribbon or raffia around the top and you have yourself a beautiful new centerpiece. We put handles on ours by wrapping wire around the rim and across the top.

Here's some important information to remember: The outside of these beautiful jars cannot get wet. The coating will wash right off -- which is actually a good thing if you're not happy with it and want to start over.


You can also coat your jars with just the glue/water mixture (no paint). Or you can add some colored tissue paper, then put another coat of the glue/water mixture on the outside of the jar.
I  made one with yellow and red tissue paper circles decoupaged onto the jar and another with strips of white tissue paper decoupaged onto the jar to make a Halloween ghost. After that one dried, I painted on black circles for the eyes and mouth and added ribbon to the top.

The ideas are limitless.

Much like my time crafting and creating, I value my friendships with those of like minds, hopes and dreams. My Sistas' have had my back for many years, never proving it more than during these past few months.

Enjoy and be the blessing.

2 comments:

  1. Trying this before we head to TX.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so easy, and really pretty. Actually to make mine "water-proof," I just now coated them with spray-on poly. :)

    ReplyDelete

If you are posting under Anonymous, please tell me who you are so I can thank you later.