Pages

Thursday, July 6, 2017

Her Knight in Shining Armor

Daddy and Mom had been married for more than 63-years when he passed away from complications caused by Alzheimer's disease. He was 24 and she was exactly one-month away from her 19th birthday when they married on July 11, 1937 - only days after his brother's funeral.

In fact, it's that funeral that brought on the sudden marriage. Daddy was working in New Mexico and Mother had just finished high school when my dad's brother passed away and he needed to make the trip back home for the funeral.

As they say, "Absence makes the heart grow fonder," so they took advantage of the timing of the unfortunate situation and married. No pomp and circumstance, no wedding dress, no honeymoon.



Only days later Daddy returned to New Mexico, but this time with his beaming bride in his arms.

How romantic!

Mom's Knight in Shining Armor!

At some point in all our lives, haven't we wished someone would come and whisk us away? Our own knight in shining armor, so to speak?

It's funny, when I think about my dad, I don't really see him as a romantic; I see him as a hard-working, no-frills, get-down-to-business kind of guy. Yet, when I actually dissect those memories, I truly see a man who wanted the best for his family, who loved his wife with great passion, who worked hard to provide the best he could for that wife, and who wanted nothing more than her love and appreciation in return.

I see a man whom, upon returning home from work each day, would go straight to the kitchen where he knew he would find Mom making dinner and he would "sneak" up behind her, put his arms around her waist, and kiss her on the cheek. I can still hear Mom say, "Oh, Gail!"

Despite their hard times, as faced by any marriage, I still today see their's as a love story of great proportion.

For their 55th anniversary, I made this wreath as a kind of symbol of their commitment to each other and to their family. Through thick and thin, they had remained together. That's not easy - in any marriage!


Mother would hang it on their front door during the month of July.
After Daddy passed and she then lived with us, she'd hang it on her bedroom door.

Today, in keeping with  Mom's tradition, I also hang it from what used to be her bedroom door during the month of July.
Next Tuesday, July 11, my parents would have celebrated their 80th anniversary.

Happy anniversary, Daddy and Mom!
Thank you for your commitment to each other and to your family, for making my life as comfortable as possible, for loving me and making it so easy for me to love back.

It's true - absence does make the heart grow fonder.









I love and miss you, both.


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are posting under Anonymous, please tell me who you are so I can thank you later.